Iran Uprising - No. 109
On March 8 and 9, in addition to the courageous uprising of the marginalized farmers in the eastern cities of Isfahan, including the cities of Varzaneh and Ezhiyeh, and the women's protests marking the International Women's Day, the strikes and protests of the workers and other strata of the society continued.
- Friday, March 9, 2018:
1. The general strike of the Haft-Tapeh Sugarcane Company continued for the sixth day. In order to end the protests, the factory management announced, at the behest of the regime's authorities, that the factory will be shut down. The workers, however, continued their strike. They announced that if their wages and New Year’s bonus are not paid until March 10, they will take over the company and will not allow the sale of sugar to anyone else.
2. The relatives of women who were arrested while demonstrating in front of the Ministry of Labor on International Women's Day (March 8th), staged a demonstration in the street of Vozara in Tehran, calling for the release of their children and loved ones. They chanted: "We're waiting for freedom. We're not going anywhere. We’ll stay right here."
3. The looted members of the Afzal Tous Institute had a protest gathering in front of the Ayandeh bank branch in Tehran.
- Some of the protests on March 8 are as follows:
4. A number of Zibakenar residents protested the looting of the forests by the Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) and prevented them from cutting the trees by closing the road and standing in front of them.
5. The dismissed workers of the Gachsaran Oil Company, together with their families, staged a protest gathering in front the city governorate building. At the same time a meeting of the Gachsaran development projects and plans was being held in the building which was attended by a number of regime’s officials.
6. The tenth day of the protest rally of the workers of Gachsaran Petrochemical Complex was held. The workers have been deprived of their wages for four months.
7. Workers of meter manufacturer in city of Qazvin gathered in front of the governor office protesting their delayed wages.
8. More than 500 people from Kazeroon gathered in front of the governor office protesting the division of Kazeroon into two cities. The people booed the governor who had come to silence their protest, and did not allow him to speak.
9. The anti-riot forces attacked vendors in Hesarak of Karaj which led to conflict between two sides.
10. A group of the looted members of the Arman Vahdat Institute in Ahvaz gathered in front of the institute’s Kian Pars branch to protest the looting and not returning their deposits.
11. The looted members of the Alborz Nahal Neshan Institute for the Development gathered for the second time in a week, in front of the organization of Agriculture Jihad in city Karaj.
12. The looted members of the Caspian Institute in Kerman staged a sit-in protest for the second day in front of the institute’s building.
13. Workers at Shayegan Mehr Apadana in the city of Marivan had a protest gathering demanding their six months delayed wages.
Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran
March 10, 2018